Swakopmund Lions Club
On a Mission to Serve
THE LIONS CLUB SWAKOPMUND was founded in the year 1959 as the fifth Lions Club in Southern Africa and the second club in the then South West. We are part of the Association of Lions Club, in short "Lions International", which was founded in 1917 by Chicago businessman Melvin Jones with the aim to encourage dedicated citizens to engage themselves in service activities for the betterment of their communities under the simple motto "We Serve".
Today Lions International is the largest voluntary service organization in the world with more than 1,350,000 members in around 46,000 clubs in 207 countries and territories around the globe. To meet the challenges under the slogan "We serve" is something that unites Lions around the world. It is unconditional and it is not limited to continents or restricted to certain causes. Lions help wherever, whenever and however they can.
Swakopmund Lions Club is well known not only in our community but also beyond our borders. Today we are part of Region E of Lions International District 410W, stretching from Bredasdorp in the Southern Cape of South Africa to North Namibia, with 53 clubs of around 1000 members. Region E currently comprises 10 Namibian clubs.
At present, Swakopmund Lions Club has 26 members. Among others, our core projects are the Lions Senior Centre, run by the Swakopmund Lions Welfare Organization WO 13, a registered charitable society acting as a committee of the club, and the Bright Sight Project, looking after the eyesight of learners. Following the Lions Motto "Together, We Serve" none of the club members are financially compensated for their time.